Monday, August 18, 2008

Visual Thinking Week

After dragging Dan Roam's The Back of the Napkin in my bag for the last couple of weeks and reading and re-reading parts of it, I am finally seeing a chance to actually bring it into practice.

Roam's frameworks for visual thinking sound wonderful on paper and the case studies show their potential, but now I need to put to them to test of my everyday work. So that is why I'm going to push one of our new projects through the whole visual thinking routine described by Roam.

During this week I will describe my experiences using the SQVID (the 5 dichotomies you can use to imagine ways of seeing your situation/problem/object/business case/whatever) and the <6><6> Rule (the 6 ways to pictorally represent the 6 "W" Questions") which are combined in the Visual Thinking Codex.

Oh and the business case I will be visually thinking about: a community for sales reps of an international company.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how the tools work out for you. I'll be checking in here from time to time this week -- best of luck!

Dan Roam
author, THE BACK OF THE NAPKIN

Jago said...

He Dan!

Cool :) I just finished my first SQVIDing sessions and it was both fun and rewarding.

Im interested to hear if you have any more specific tips or tricks when I post my results

Jago