Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Big Question

"What would you like to do better as a Learning Professional?"

Was the Learning Circuits question of the month for April. I'm late, but that's still better than never. My answer is: "A lot!" But that's what you get when you are only 6 months into becoming a "Learning Professional". But the most important thing I would like to do better is finding a middle ground in my work: balance.

We have a small development team, but we have big clients and more importantly: big projects. For a big Dutch retailer we are developing a game-based introduction course for their commercial department about the meaning of their brand, marketing, work processes and more. There is a lot to do: content needs to be defined with the client (what is essential, optional, irrelevant), the content needs to be written, a design (graphic, interaction, interface, navigation, storyline) needs to be created, it all has to be developed, it needs to be tested, reviewed and deployed.

Like I said: it's big. And now I need to find a way to balance it. To break the big parts into small parts, to make it manageable, to define roles, to define tasks which I and the rest of the team can clearly see and work towards. But how do I do that? I have to switch constantly from project to project, from being the copy writer to the graphic designer, from content analysis to project management - it's difficult to step away from it and have a clear overview.

Does this sound familiar to any of you? Any strategies or ideas?

1 comment:

Marcel de Leeuwe said...

Hi Jago,

Yes, this sounds familiar! My strategy is to use clear and well-defined methodologies. E.g. a proven instructional design methodology and clear project management procedures. Together with a clear set of rules with your client about responsabilities, milestones etc. they give me something to rely on.

On the other hand I want to create flexibility (e.g. an iterative way of designing) and want to create time and opportunities to step away from the project. Just take a drink (with or without the customer) and think about it. This can be a real time saver!

And maybe a course on juggling will help? :-) But to be honest: I didn't try this one yet.