Sunday, May 18, 2008

Awakening The Inner Artist

Today I became God.

Well, not really, but I feel a bit like him anyway. Together with my cousin I am making a painting on my kitchen wall and it's AWESOME! We kick so much ass! To start off with I have to confess that I am not the most practical and technical guy on this planet. I am not incapable of doing technical things like wiring electricity, painting window frames, fixing broken equipment or be an amateur plumber if my sink has digestive problems a.k.a flooding. It's just: I don't really enjoy it.

But today I have found enormous joy in being practical, technical and 'creative' in the godly sense of the word. Under our fingers the enormous The Big Wave by Hokusai is taking shape. After drawing the outline on the wall, it is now a really big Paint By Numbers affair. With every stroke of my brush it 'becomes'! I am the Creator and it makes me completely happy.

Take a look at the work in progress, the result of Day 1 - "and God saw it was good":


Hopefully tomorrow we'll get it all done and I'll upload the result.

--UPDATE--


Ok it's not finished, but jeeezzz all those bubble streams!! It's hard and meticulous work. But still: it's becoming great. The dynamics, the motion, the amount of perspective with only one colour, good stuff!

-UPDATE 2 -

Ok! We're almost there now! Most of you probably can't even tell that's unfinished, but I assure you that there are still a few parts missing (the big boat in the front wave needs more detail and some more bubble streams) And I've decided to paint the bottom part of the wall the same blue as well, but nevertheless: it's really looking like something doesn't it! I just couldn't bring myself to do any more today, my shoulders ache like hell!! But it's worth it.

2 comments:

Ignatia/Inge de Waard said...

I am in awe for this amazing art work. I love Hokusai and Japanese drawings (especially the long scroll ones), but what a great mural you and your cousin made!

Angela Kutsar said...

this is beyond amazing! i love it!