Sunday, May 27, 2007

Jia Ren Qu

Do you have that? One particular song which you carry with you everywhere you go? At any point in time it can pop up and it plays in your mind. I have one and it is actually a pretty strange one. I don't know who has seen House of Flying Daggers, but in this movie Zhang Ziyi sings this cute little song called Jia Ren Qu (or The Beauty Song) It is originally a very old Chinese poem. Ziyi doesn't do a very great job singing it, but somehow it has been stuck in my head ever since I have seen House of Flying Daggers and at the strangest of moments it comes into my head and I need to sing it.
Must be a weird sight to behold: a tall white boy singing a strange Chinese song. Here are the lyrics and when you are in my company, listen carefully and you will definitely hear me humming or singing it one day.

Bei fang you jia ren
Jue shi er du li
Yi gu qing ren cheng
Zai gu qing ren guo
Ning bu zhi
Qing cheng yu qing guo
Jia ren nan zai de

Translation:

A rare beauty in the North...
She's the finest lady on earth
One glance from her, the city falls
A second glance leaves the whole nation in ruins
There is no city or nation that has been
More cherished than a beauty like this

I think that one day it will become the lullaby I will sing to my kids :)

8 comments:

Knight said...

The lyric is really interesting! Hmm .. would love to hear you hum haha!

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel... :) I keep humming it from time to time myself, and now on a questo to finally find the sheet music for it (I want to make an arrangement to our little singers group) I stumbled on your blog. anyways, just had to leave a comment... I hear ya, bro. I hear you... *SMILE*
Take care!

Sincerely
K. Alakotila

P.S. Oh, and the song makes a GREAT lullaby! I've sang it to my both god sons! :D

Laura said...

It's interesting that you said one day you may use it as a lullaby with your kids. I came to look this up today because my sister used to sing it to my son when he was an infant. He loved it! Anyway, I ran across the name of the song today and remembered that he liked it. I wanted to find the lyrics so I could sing it to him too.

Blackcat said...

i watched that movie and i loved it so much! my dad showed me it about a year or two ago and all of a sudden today i remembered that song and had to find out what it was!

Ragnar said...

This song is really great, and I actually enjoy the singer's whispering, reedy voice in this one. It's pretty simple to learn by ear I think, maybe I'll make an arrangement on it in the future =)

Linh Nguyen said...

I'm sorry to bother ^^ I think in the second sentence not only mention that she is the most beautiful girl on Earth but also state that the girl is single(du li). For the 3 last one:

Ning bu zhi
It's better not know

qing cheng yu qing guo
the beauty that can ruin the city and nation

jia ren nan zai de
the beauty is hard to see twice (hard to find)

sorry if this comment make you unhappy. have a nice day

Anonymous said...

I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a
ѵery eаsy on the eyes which maκes it much moгe ρlеasаnt for me to сome here and ѵisit
more oftеn. Did you hire out a developer to create your thеme?

Outstanԁing work!

My web page nursing educator job

Anonymous said...

Some goes provides heat up at the the oven. A couple of
electronic cookware within the laundry room have display options for
freedom and thus convenience while using Nuwave Pro player Infrared Your oven.
Looking on the ground, feral turkeys try a wide variety of
increased brain, tubers, seed and therefore hide out.
Apply it to baked also known as challenging gound beef without getting a trouble.


my blog stainless toaster oven under counter :: http://toasterovenpicks.com ::