Tuesday, February 20, 2007

*coughs*

"Ok, ok I'll go already!!"

After several urgent pleas to see a doctor about my cough, I went and saw Dr Tim Moss - a friendly, big bellied and happy gentleman, today. After the obvious confirmation of Dr. Moss that I indeed had a rather persistent cough, he prescribed me a puffer. With the prescription in my hand I went on to the nurse and had my third hepatitis B shot, after which the presentation of the bill followed - 50 dollars for the lot. Happily I paid - this was a bargain!

In good spirits I went to the pharmacist to get my prescription medicine. The girl was nice and, I guess fueled by my radiant smile, started talking enthusiastically about what kind of medicine it was ("See, it has two main working ingredients, one is a steroid which calms the lungs down and suppresses the irritation. The other one opens the lung vessels again, which might have been clogged by your mucus or by the severe coughing spasms). This very friendly and nice scene quickly turned around when she finished with:

"Well, that is 89,24 dollars than!"

WHAT?!
90 dollars for a puffer?!
But wait! I've got insurance - don't panic.
You'll get your money back Jaag.
And even if you didn't - can you really put a price on your health?
No, you are right

But I still hated to swipe my credit card through that machine!

4 comments:

Astrid said...

Heel goed van alle slimme, lieve mensen om jou eigenwijze, hoestende, vol snot zittende hoofd naar de dokter sturen :P En zij werden waarschijnlijk horendol van het gehoest hehe....
En W T F? 90 dollar?? Das wel heel belachelijk (ondanks de verzekering). Of is dat dan weer een typisch Hollandse instelling van ons.....;)

Laura said...

Puffers zijn duur. Ik als bekende in dat wereldje (broerlief puft als een idioot) weet dat dat soort dingen duur zijn. Helaas. Nou ja, het is minder in euro's moet je maar denken... En goed voor je gezondheid! :D Wat moet, dat moet :)

Ayan said...

Hahaha hier in NL is iedereen momenteel een "puffer" man! Griepgolf ten top!

Karsten said...

Had dat nou gezegd Jaag. Ik heb er hier één liggen die ik nog nooit gebruikt heb. Kreeg ik ook van de dokter, als "je-weet-maar-nooit". Kan je dat zomaar gebruiken als je eens hoest??? Chill.